Sunday 19 November 2017

That Inevitable Victorian Thing: review.

That Inevitable Victorian Thing
This is a book with ballgowns and dances, princesses and commoners in a not so distant future in which the British Empire rules. But above all, this is a book with a TWIST you won't see coming, an unexpected turn of circumstances that will shock the reader. Indeed I was so astonished that I had to read several pages twice to fully understand what was going on.

The world created by the author is fascinating, an original idea that may interest many readers including the ones who don't agree with Victorian Colonialism.

However, I deeply disliked the apparently friendly relationship servants and employers (masters) had, which never crossed the limits.

The fact that, in my opinion, the ethnic diversity in the powerful classes was due to economic and politic interests made me feel sad.

To make matters worse I found Helena, the main character, really selfish. She just wanted to have it all and I just couldn't believe how she managed to convince other people to accept her ideas. (I know this is a bit vague but I don't want to give the plot away).
I guess they all truly follow this quote by Charlotte Brontë: "Happiness quite unshared can scarcely be called happiness, it has no taste ".Although I'm afraid that Helena is going to be the only happy person in this story.

All in all, I found the book surprising, to say the least, and I recommend reading it if you are looking for a different kind of futuristic novel.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing a comment, it means a lot to me.Leave a link to your blog for me to visit it as well.