Friday 27 December 2013

Modern Manners by Liv Tyler and Dorothea Johnson:Review

Modern Manners: Tools to Take You to the Top I found out  about this book in a magazine with a photograph of Liv Tyler and her grandmother, Dorothea Johnson, and I though that it had probably been a wonderful experience for both of them to write a book together. Two women from different worlds were bound to have interesting ideas on manners nowadays.Therefore  I decided to read it.

The book starts with a lovely foreword by Liv Tyler which may me think how lucky she was to have such a remarkable grandmother ( and made me crave for Carrot Cake ) and another foreword by Dorothea Johnson so I kept reading.

There are chapters on several topics:Meetings and Greetings, On the Job, Electronic Communication (every cell phone and computer we buy should come with a booklet on good  manners),Out and About ,Dining Skills (really useful ) and The Savvy Host.It also includes some useful Dos and Don'ts ,tips from Liv and Dorothea at the end of the chapters  and entertaining anecdotes.

I thought it was  very funny when  Liv Tyler calls a Yes Sandwich  a  Kiss, kick ,kiss ( when a manager starts with a compliment , sandwiches in a negative comment and finishes with another compliment) .

Some of the pieces of advice given are just common sense but this is unfortunately the least common of our senses .I found the book delightful ,it is indeed really pleasant to read , just like if your own  modern grandmother was  giving you some notions on how to behave correctly in the kindest and loveliest possible manner.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing a comment, it means a lot to me.Leave a link to your blog for me to visit it as well.