Friday 15 February 2013

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater Review

The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) There is only one reason I read the book:  it was  written by the author of  The Wolves of Mercy Falls, otherwise I would never have read a novel which starts with the idea of someone's death, it scares me too much, not to mention knowing it a year in advance.But I decided to give it a try and hope for a happy ending.

Seers,psychics,witches and mediums are the members of Blue's family,whose only paranormal power seems to be to increase her relatives' abilities ,Maura , Neeve and Orla.

Politicians' sons,oil barons' sons and the sons of mistresses living off hush money are the pupils of Aglionby school where Adam,Ronan,Noah and Gansey became close friends.

Blue and Gansey have nothing in common, except for the fact that she sees him on St. Mark's Eve  and it means that he is either her true love a or that she is going to kill him.

This could just  be the story of two  star-crossed lovers or a cliche love triangle, but I expected more from Maggie Stiefvater and I got it.There's the legend of a Welsh king, a wonderful friendship ,a family of psychics ,and well developed characters that make you want to continue reading and get to know them better.

There is some fun  :

  " What did you say your name was? "
                                  "Blue.My name's Blue Sargent"
                                  "Blair?"
                                 " Blue"
                                 " Blaize?"
                                  Blue sighted. "Jane".

There is sadness:

 "...he had nothing to miss, that he effectively had Stockholm syndrome , identifying  with his captors,considering it a kindness when his father didn't hit him."

And there is love:

"Maybe it wouldn't hurt if I kiss you, he said.Maybe it's only if you kiss me"

And I am growing a plant just like Gansey.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing a comment, it means a lot to me.Leave a link to your blog for me to visit it as well.