Sunday 11 July 2021

Blackout by by Dhonielle Clayton,Tiffany D. Jackson, Nic Stone, Angie Thomas, Ashley Woodfolk, Nicola Yoon

Blackout

 I wanted to read this novel because one of the six stories included is written by Nicola Yoon who is one of my favourite authors. I was delighted to find a very well-written book about love, black teens, and a blackout in NY city. 

The characters in the six stories are related to each other in one way or another but what they really have in common is how young their hearts are.

In the first story "The Long Walk" I felt the mixture of bitterness, confusion, and longing you have after a heartbreak. 

"Mask Off" and  "Made to fit" were surprisingly cute for me since I don't usually read stories about gay couples.

Being in a library doesn't seem so bad during a blackout, like the couple in "  All the great love stories ...and dust". They start as friends but in the end, find the courage to become more than that.

In "No sleep till Brooklyn" some students from Mississippi are stuck in a  tourist bus on their first visit to  NY. Unfortunately, they picked the wrong time to see the city.

"Seymour and Grace" by Nicola Yoon is about embracing change and accepting that although some love stories are meant to end others will begin if we give them a chance.

I recommend this novel to readers who are willing to enjoy six modern romance stories.

If you click on the following  Teaching Guide you will find some questions and activities that can be useful for a book club or a reading class.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing a comment, it means a lot to me.Leave a link to your blog for me to visit it as well.