Friday 29 August 2014

The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty: Review

The Husband's Secret
 After having read and liked Big Little Secrets, I made up my mind to finally read Liane Moriarty's most famous novel , which had been at the top of all best sellers' lists for a long time.

 I am not a big fan of best sellers, though, they usually end up disappointing me. I believe that the fact that a book is bought or read by a lot of people doesn't  necessarily mean that it is actually loved by all of them. Off the top of my head I can think of several  very popular books which were not only bad literature, but also  incredibly boring.

The Husband's Secret is not boring at all, in fact, it is quite entertaining and horrible at the same time. The lives of three perfectly nice women are turned upside down by the wrongdoings of some wicked men: a murderer, a cheater and a neglected son.The author has chosen men again as the evil characters of her novel. I felt that women were  depicted as victims and as the responsible ones who, in spite of everything, have to make things right in the end. The male characters were apparently  unable to clean their own messes , and I didn't like this idea.

I also disliked  the way the book ended. It reminded me of the old saying: An eye for an eye.But in this case the guilty ones weren't the only ones who suffered. That part of the book was by far the hardest one I have read in a long time. The last chapter of the book makes the horror in the story seem a little more bearable , but just a little.

The novel poses great questions,though : How far would you go to protect your loved ones? Does love justify everything?

The book is very easy to read .The combination of everyday life and life-changing events is engaging and  the female characters are very appealing. No wonder it has became such a huge best seller.

On a lighter note ,while reading the book,  I googled  pavlova , I had never heard of that popular dessert that Aussies like so much. I would certainly love to taste it.

Korean bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for writing a comment, it means a lot to me.Leave a link to your blog for me to visit it as well.